Citizens residing in Portugal with a foreign driving license may, as of this Thursday, October 1st, exchange their foreign driving license for Portuguese through the new service available on the IMTonline portal.
This new service, available in Portuguese and English, allows citizens residing in Portugal to submit the exchange request and all necessary documents through the IMT portal.
Posteriorly, a trip to an IMT answering service is scheduled for the driver to confirm his identity and carry out the collection of biometric data, thus concluding the procedure safely.
The portal provides, in addition to all the necessary information on the procedure, a foreign driving license exchange simulator.
This simulator allows the driver to know which category of the Portuguese driving license corresponds to the category he has on his foreign driving license.
The procedures for exchanging foreign driving for Portuguese, depend on the country where the driving license was issued, according to:
- Driving licenses issued by the European Union or the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein);
- Driving licenses obtained in countries with bilateral agreement or reciprocity regime with Portugal for recognition and exchange of driving licenses obtained in countries adhering to international traffic conventions;
- Driving licenses obtained in countries that do not adhere to the conventions.
Until now, this service had to be done by face-to-face service, with a significant increase in demand from 2018 to 2019. Thus, in 2018, 45,197 requests for foreign driving license exchange were received at the counter and in 2019 around 67,070.
This new service aims to speed up procedures and contribute to the digitization of public services and the continuous improvement of services provided.
The IMTonline portal currently offers several services related to drivers, transport and vehicles, among which the following stand out:
- Drivers – revalidation, replacement and request for a duplicate of the driving license; exchange of foreign driving license for Portuguese;
- Transport – issuing and renewing a tachograph driver card, issuing a CMT taxi driver certificate and issuing a TVDE driver certificate;
- Vehicles – request for 2nd copy of the Registration Certificate / Unique Automobile Document, requests for certificates referring to vehicles and requests for changes to technical characteristics.